Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Trying to "Do It All"

Many people call me "energetic," but they don't see me when I'm "refueling."  And even fewer see me when I'm "all out" riding on "empty."

Last night I was so tired, I thought that I was getting jet-lagged.  I must have the right food and sleep.  I'm not young, so my energy reserves are always pretty low.

Sunday night at work, Yafiz-clothing for the entire family, Sha'ar Binyamin, we started a major winter clothes sale* just under an hour before closing.  It was like running a sprint at the end of a marathon.  And yesterday, I couldn't sleep late or even until my usual early time.  I had to get up extra early to make it to a Bar Mitzvah at the Kotel of a fellow workers son.  From there I went to an elderly friend at the other end of Jerusalem for lunch.  I noticed that I had just missed the bus that goes straight to her place, so I tried catching up with it by taking the train.  But when I got off the train, the bus was already leaving the stop and I had to walk all the way from Yad Sarah to the Shalom Hotel.  At least I didn't see the next bus pass me.

From there I rushed back to work for another late and very intense shift.  On the bus to work I reset my alarm to the latest ever, and after I turned it off, I fell asleep for another bit.  At work I made a point of eating my fruit and the dinner I had prepared the day before, so I wouldn't go into a stupor of exhaustion. B"H, my friend's bracha/blessing for safe and quick ride/s home came true.

Trying to "do it all" is good, but do it wisely.  I really try, because recovering is harder.

*If you're in the area, it's highly recommended that you shop in Yafiz for our winter clothes sale.  Buy for next winter and some of the outfits are suitable for all year long, certainly springtime.

3 comments:

Sharon Katz said...

You ARE probably one of the only women I know who CAN do it all. Don't be modest.

Leora said...

Sounds like you know how to refuel. I know a few women who could learn from you (not that they will, but in any case...).

Batya said...

Voices and Leora, I learned how to say "no." And I try to listen to my body. I don't get all that much done, really. And no, I'm not bipolar.