|I had to google to find this picture of myself in Maon Betar, Old City Jerusalem, 1970|
Back to Israel...
I can't imagine living any place else. I don't feel "at home" in the states.
Some of my favorite things about living here:
- being able to ask a salesperson in a housewares store instructions about what get "tovelled," (mikvah-dipped)
- the public/school/work holidays are Jewish ones
- Hebrew idioms are Biblical or based on Jewish Law
- there's an inescapable feeling of solidarity
- streets names, from the Bible, Jewish History, Land of Israel, Modern Jewish heroes and most exciting... people I've actually known.
- unshaven men on TV, in important public positions etc because it's sefira or the "3 Weeks" or they're in shloshim (first 30 days of mourning a close relative)
- men and women working in all types of jobs wearing religious hair-coverings
- knowing that the rain is a blessing from G-d