Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Lively Discussion," Does That Mean It Was a Good Shiur/Class?

Since I began pretty serious, for me, Bible studies* in Matan last year, I've volunteered to give classes to my neighborhood women's "study group," the weekly Shabbat שיעור נשים Shiur Nashim,  Women's Torah Class.  You can still count the times on one hand, but the number is growing.  I gave a class today.

I don't consider myself very knowledgeable.  Even though I've taken classes for years, until recently it wasn't very systematic, and I didn't have enough knowledge to "connect the dots."  I don't lecture.  One reason is that I don't know enough, and enough is that it can too easily get boring.  I hate to admit it, but I've fallen asleep at too many classes.  So, my method is involving everyone in discussion. 

I do throw out facts and read texts, or make my friends read in better Hebrew, but I don't insist that only my answer is the right one.  The class wasn't too long.  One of the women even expressed disappointment that it was over too soon.

I guess that means that I passed, Baruch Hashem, thank G-d!

*three courses, one morning a week

No comments: