Usually I make a two-pot vegetable soup, which is always delicious. But then I make too much, and I just made it last week during Chanukah, so I decided to make a quicker, easier and smaller one.
- I let them cook 15 minutes, then sit, covered*, for an hour.
- pour out the liquid, since people say that beans are easier to digest if you pour out the first liquid
- next some split peas, check, rinse, add to pot with more boiling water and cook at least a half hour. Sit covered.
- Then I added cut-up onion and carrots
- Tomato paste and rice and lots more water, and cook for an hour.
Put in salt, pepper and whatever a few minutes before turning off the flame. And let it "sit" a bit more.
*Cover with a heavy towel to keep the heat in the pot.