Thursday, December 20, 2007

KCC #25 The Great Green One

5X5=25
THE 25th KOSHER COOKING CARNIVAL!





Looking back, here's a listing of all the previous KCC's:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24.

If you're interested in hosting one, please don't be shy. It's great fun; just let me know which month you want.

The Kosher Cooking Carnival is in its third year already. It's not just a "recipe carnival." It includes posts about all different aspects of kosher foods, including:


Halachik Controversies
Traditions
Menus
Special Holiday Foods and
History
Cookbook and Restaurant Reviews
And, of course, recipes

There is no limit to the amount of posts you can send, as long as they fit the criteria. You may also send in links to other bloggers' posts.

Thanks Juggling Frogs for sending me He'brew Beers Reviewed by Hoosier Beer Geek posted at Tzvee.blogspot.com. And also for this interesting post from Seth's blog. JF has been really great, sending me lots of kosher food links; thanks! I many not have credited her with all of them, so please take this thankyou for them all.

Borei Minei V'samim, what a great idea from Ya'aqov!

The Babka Nosher gives us
Zesty! Yummy!

Take a looks at Elisson's
BACHELOR DINNER; it looks great.

Try these
Latkes posted at Crunchy Granola Mom, who's a friend of Juggling Frogs.
Teddy sent in his
latke recipe plus.
Here's my new version of
potato latkes.

Rafi G. brings up a good point. Should the city of Afula
tell its citizens how to make chulent?

Here's something special: A Simple Jew presents
Erev Shabbos Chanuka. You must take a look. And read how A Simple Jew makes Sufganiyot, which are good to eat all year long.

Elisheva presents
Yoshon/Chodosh Notices. Thanks Elisheva!

There's plenty of valuable information and bargains on
Kashrut News, so take a look.

Try Mother in Israel's
Microwave apple/pear sauce; it looks nice and easy.

Teddy's
pizza looks yummy! He's definitely going ethnic with The Secret Of Hawaj - Yemenite Spice, too. And if you have some left-over beef, try his Meat Stew - With Beef Stock or Leftovers. I'm sure it's great, like all his recipes. And now for your favorite meat eaters, serve Teddy's Rib Roast.

You've most probably noticed that the majority of the posts here are from two bloggers,
Juggling Frogs and Teddy. They are the two main kosher bloggers, and I'm happy to announce that together they have cooked up the most complete set of illustrated instructions for making challah. Note that I wrote "making" and not "baking," since this isn't about popping a pre-made challah from the freezer into the oven.

Eggnog is good all year long, at least I like it. Neighbors of mine make it for Purim and the lucky few get it with Mishloach Manot, but Treppenwitz makes it for Chanukah. Here's
his recipe.

Gillian Polack gives us
Vegetarian frying from 1891; let's try them. They seem very modern, actually.

Here's a
different kind of "latke" from West Bank Mama.

Is this too green for you?!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here's my meal at
Shammai 12, green, spinach ravioli in pesto sauce. You can't see the garlic, but it was sure there!

Teddy gives us
Muffin Meatloaf And Potatoes a la Barbara; I must try it.

Getting away from recipes for a minute, how do you make
your refrigerator Shomer Shabbat? It's not as easy as it used to be. All the great cooking in the world won't help, if the light goes on in the fridge when you open it.

Juggling Frogs shows us
how to make your own colored sugars; bookmark that for Purim. I didn't use those things for my own kids, but now I'm a savta (grandma.)

Juggling Frogs sent
Foods to Counteract Your Moods [Food] posted at Lifehacker. There are times I wonder what they fed the students where I work….

And I'm sure that
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Blondies, posted at Baking Bites, will put everyone in a good mood.

Only
Juggling Frogs can tell us how to make a bulk cookie cutter from tuna cans. And only our Juggling Frogs can find us a site with all sorts of useful formulae for things like Taco Seasonings and Brownie mixes. And here's another link she sent, Heart4Home's 9 Traits of Organized Kitchens. Now, to clean and organize my kitchen according to their suggestions.

Don't you wish that Ezzie had invited you to
A SerandEz Thanksgiving?

Mother in Israel tells us
how to save time in the kitchen. I remember when I was the cook in the local day care center, and I found I could cook for two days in a drop more time than for one. It's all in the planning.

Read about
Manhattan's First Kosher Cheeseburger? It's posted on Jewish Blogmeister. And he also reviews a new soda. He's not just Jewish Music…

Juggling Frogs sent
Crockpots -- not just for Shabbos anymore posted at Coffee and Chemo. This is a very inspiring blog, so read it, even if you don't have a crockpot.

I'm sure that my
super-simple-one pot vegetable soup can be cooked in a crockpot. If you try it, please let me know how it comes out. Thanks.

OU's Kashrut News asks you to do a favor and answer the
OU Survey: What Do You Want to Eat Next?



Now, finally, if you haven't yet heard it,


here's the story behind
the "cook" in the


Kosher Cooking Carnival logo.




That's it for this month. If you're interested in hosting a future KCC, please let me know, shilohmuse at yahoo dot com. Please submit your posts and any others you deem suitable for KCC via
blog carnival.

Thanks to all of you, and please post and link this edition of KCC to your blog.

9 comments:

Ted Gross said...

Cool beans .. jelly beans..thanks for all the work

And you should know, Gillian Pollack has the most interesting blog on food that exists, IMHO.

Get her to send in more stuff!

Teddy

Kashrut News said...

Great indeed!

Barbara said...

Thank you for listing my meatloaf muffins. I just made them yesterday and they just disappeared off my table!

When you do make them - let me know how you like them. They do crumble a lot but still YUMMY!

Juggling Frogs said...

Batya,

Fantastic! But you give me too much credit. You did all the work.

One hour left in the fast in Boston, so I'm going to hold off for a bit in the food-surfing until this evening!

Great job, as usual!

Sarah Likes Green said...

yum

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H Nice job. Interesting recipes.

http://esseragaroth.blogspot.com/2007/12/kosher-cooking-carnival-25-is-up.html

Batya said...

My thanks to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Wow - now I'm hungry....great job!

westbankmama

Batya said...

Thanks mama