Thursday, November 05, 2009

Yesterday I Cut My Hair

This post probably makes no sense to you unless you know that for religious reasons my hair is covered.  In recent years I traded in my larger hats for small crocheted ones, and when I was younger I'd wear all sorts of scarves.  Very recently, I've reintroduced scarves to my "hat wardrobe."

No grammar mistake here, because I really did cut my hair, all by myself, without the aid of a back mirror. 

When my hair was long and nobody could see the ends, it seemed totally ridiculous to waste money on professional cuts.  Then a few years ago, when I decided to wear it short, I had other people cut it, including professionals and a haircutting school.

Frequently, after getting home, I'd feel that too much hair was left and I'd "trim" it off.  Or to delay the "next cut," I'd trim ends which were sticking out of my hats.  The past few months I allowed "a curl" to stick out of my hat.  It was "cute," but I don't like hair used for that reason.  It goes against what I understand is the Halacha, Jewish Law.  The hair of a married woman should not be used as a "decoration," "attraction."

That "longish" hair also didn't work with my cap-like hats.  So, now that I'm home with my father, without having to rush out to work, I took out my special hair-cutting scissors after yesterday's shower & shampoo, and with the help of a comb, I began cutting.  The trick is the angle you hold the scissors and having special scissors.  Ordinary paper scissors aren't sharp enough which could damage the ends of your hair.

I have no idea how it looks from the back, but it feels OK.  I may have a neighbor check it out and even it if necessary.

All in all, my "head feels better," and I'm glad I finally did it.

2 comments:

YMedad said...

No grammar mistakes but what about spelling? "rediculous"?

Batya said...

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that it has been mispelled like that many times by me.
The new blogger create bar doesn't have a spellcheck, and explorer doesn't either. Spelling was never my strong point.