Friday, November 13, 2009

The Latest in Home Renovations


Do you see that shiny, new railing?  It was installed just before I brought my father to live with us.

When we built the house twenty-five years ago, the few steps leading to our front door didn't seem like too many.  But in recent years I've had to help neighbors walk up and down them and I'd get nervous about those who insisted that they could make it fine on their own.

Inside our house there aren't any stairs, making it very comfortable and safe for the elderly and crawling babies.

We're not the only people in Shiloh to have added a bannister, so people can have something to hold onto.  Ours isn't very fancy, but it's strong and matches the ones the same workman put up on the main path from the road to the synagogue.  My neighbor's father ordered them when he moved here.

Our Shiloh neighbood is now twenty-eight years old.  The first "temporary" prefabricated structures arrived August, 1981.  We moved into "ours" that September 1.  We have children older than we were then, and now we have to take into consideration the needs of the much more elderly.  Synagogue renovations are wheelchair accessible as well as for baby carriages.

Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, we're a community for all ages.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

kol hakavod to you.
you know, iyh you too will need the banister...a good investment overall.
and may shiloh continue to flourish.

Batya said...

Thanks
Yes, for sure we're not getting any younger.

Baila said...

I visited Shiloh in the winter of 81-82 when I was here on Hachsharah. It was just a mountaintop with a couple of caravans--and a playground (I have a picture of us fooling around on the slide). If I remember correctly, we also planted trees there. Wonder how they are doing.

And my father's cousin, a Reuven Miller lived in a caravan at the time. He has since moved from Shiloh, but I believe he spent a few years there with his family.

Batya said...

You were in our neighborhood, and I forwarded this to the Millers! They are good friends and actually we moved to Shiloh, because they were planning on it and our elder daughters are the same ages as theirs. Small world. You must come again and see the changes.

Lady-Light said...

Good idea, that bannister. We just met someone who lives in the Shomron, in Ma'ale Shomron. Is that near Shiloh by any chance? It sounds like a much newer community; it's near Karnei Shomron, he said.

in the vanguard said...

Kol HaKavod. I wish I would have had more time to honor my parents!

Batya said...

LL, thanks, I'm not really sure where Ma'ale Shomron is, but it can't be all that far away from Shiloh.

edge, I didn't plan this, but it happened. We must go with the flow as they say.