Thursday, November 12, 2009

So Much Better Than I Had Remembered

Yesterday I hosted my movie club.  I also chose the movie, a comedy, I had fond memories of from the one time I had seen it about twenty years ago, The Dream Team.


No, it's not a sports movie, has nothing to do with basketball and the Olympics.


It's so funny, that it's positively medicinal!  That's because laughing is good for your health.
Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.


Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.


Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.


Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.


When they were leaving I spoke to one of them about the pros and cons of watching television and movies.  Considering the health benefits of a good comedy, we decided that as long as one doesn't spend one's days glued to the tube, it's good to have a set or DVD player just for great comedies, like the one we watched, considering how healthy laughter is.  You can call the movies, "pikuach nefesh," life saving.
There were about a dozen people, mostly older than me, in the living room.  My father was the oldest, and he was pleased to meet so many of my neighbors.  He knew a few of the people beforehand.  My Shiloh neighbors are an amazing bunch.

No comments: