Here's what she sent:
20גר שמרים טרייםTranslated that's:
או 2 כפיות שמרים יבשים
1ושליש כוסות מים חמימים
אחד כפית סוכר
2 כפות שמן זית
500קמח מנופה גר
20 grams fresh yeastI doubled the recipe and accidentally used a Tablespoon for the sugar and intentionally less salt than indicated.
or 2 Tablespoons of dehydrated yeast
1 1/3 cups of warm water
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
500 grams of sifted flour
1 teaspoon of salt
Eventually, I got the dough to a kneadable state. I kneaded it and let it rise. Then I found myself in big trouble. My rolling pin had been thrown out. How was I going to spread out the dough on the baking pan? I certainly don't know how to spin pizza dough.
The two large ones were topped with homemade tomato sauce (recipe to follow on this page, and if you want the microwave version it's here) and grated cheese, and my daughter topped the others with what her kids like, plain cheese, olive oil etc.
Photos by my husband.
- tomato paste or concentrate
- cut up onion
- garlic either fresh or whatever's in the closet/pantry
- oil, any type (I've always cooked with plain ordinary Israeli soy oil except on Passover, when I use olive oil)
- boiling water
- put water up to boil
- start sautéing the onion (and fresh garlic)
- add tomato paste and some boiling water to get the right sauce consistency
- add the oregano (and dried garlic powder)
- let it simmer for a few minutes