Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quick and Kosher, My Take on The New Cookbook

I don't know why it has taken me so long to review Jamie Geller's new Quick & Kosher Cookbook-Meals in Minutes.  The cookbook is impressive in its production, and there really are some great things about it.  The illustrations are gorgeous and the instructions are very clear.  The food looks amazingly tempting, and I've gotten a lot of good ideas from it.

Before I go any further, I'd like to remind you if you don't know anything about Geller is that she works for kosher.com, and her book does promote its products.  I live in Israel, and I don't order food by internet, so I have to look at the recipes in terms of how to cook them with my local products.

One of the important lessons I've learned from the book,  which is very different from my own cooking style, is that to speed things up you can combine all sorts of ready-made products.  Honestly, the only ready-made "food" stocked in my house/pantry is catsup.  I've always made my own tomato sauce, and my soups are totally from scratch.

The recipe I find most tempting, Stacked Eggplant Rounds, isn't on her sample page. I'll have to try it.

One short comment suggestion I have is that as a kosher cookbook, it should have icon/indications labeling, meat, dairy, parve and ways of turning a dairy recipe into parve etc. It's also  important, because today there's more awareness of food allergies. Some people are lactose intolerant, celiac etc.

Here's Jamie to tell you more:


Quick and Kosher-Meals in Minutes is by Feldheim Books and here's information on ordering it.  Yes, I certainly consider it a good cookbook.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Is there anything healthy in the cookbook? Is she cost conscious? Speed is nice, but if she's focusing on prepared foods, the results could easily be expensive and not healthy.

Batya said...

Hadassa, her way of saving time would cost us more money. She buys cut salad greens and uses frozen vegetables. The basic recipes can be adjusted to produce from the shuk etc. I love getting ideas from cookbooks, but I don't strictly follow recipes.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
If the recipes are healthy, then the time saved will be worth it the family has a double income and no-one is home long enough to cook a "proper meal".

Batya said...

Hadassa, it's certainly a lot healthier than reheating take-out or store-bougtht frozen meals. So if that's the choice, it's very healthy. She also recommends side dishes (with its recipe) and wine for each main course.