Friday, March 04, 2011

Mothers See Things Differently

Last night my son's IFL football team, the Jerusalem Lions lost the game.  They won't be playing in the finals.  It was a pretty good game.  Both teams made good plays and bad.  This will be the first finals they don't play in. 

Following is what I posted a few minutes ago on facebook.  Facebook limits the amount you can put in a simple status posting, not as restricted as twitter, but one must watch one's words.

Jerusalem Lions lost the game last night, won't be in the finals. We were ahead and then at the last minute lost. Afterwards another player's mother and I were talking. "At least nobody was carted off badly injured." Her son said: "I'd rather have been taken off in a ambulance and won." Mothers see things differently.

Honestly, I don't go to these games to watch football.  I can do without watching games, all sports games.  I go to them for one reason and one reason only.  That's to watch my son, not as much as to watch his sports prowess, but to watch over him, try to protect him with my prayers.  I want him safe, and I want him happy, but if I had to choose between a sports victory and his health....  Of course I want him healthy, physically and mentally healthy.

It was just a game.  We all have to deal with disappointment at times.  It's not easy, not pleasant, but that's life.  And the quality of our lives depend on how we deal with disappointment, tragedy etc.

I went to the game after attending an Azkara, Memorial Ceremony at our local Shiloh Cemetery.  And our community and seven others are commemorating the Yartzeit of Yonatan Eldar, HaYa"D, who was murdered by an Arab terrorist three years ago at Merkaz HaRav Yeshiva, Jerusalem.  That was a tragedy, not the loss of a football game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think ball games are mainly a boy/man's thing. I can enjoy a god basketball match, or even a football game occasionally but, in my eyes, a defeat is never a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

I obviously meant a "good" match.

Batya said...

yes, I used to enjoy watching games, but now there are so many other things I'd like to do with my time. These football games are because my son is playing, and that's it.