Tuesday, March 08, 2011

The Starbucks Kashrut Guide

When I visit the states, I'm frequently without easy to find kosher food, and I'm almost always suffering jetlag.  I find that a large cup of strong coffee helps me receive some relief from the jetlag, but being a foreigner in America (OK, expat,) I don't know the ins and outs, the permitted and forbidden re:coffee, kashrut-wise.  I've been told that plain (unflavored) coffee of the brands sold in the supermarket with a hechshar  supervision (or any of the flavored that are sold with a hechshar in the supermarket) may be drunk in disposable cups.

It's not that I like the Starbucks flavor, but it is easier to find a Starbucks than any other coffee bar, so I'm grateful to the kvetchingeditor* for posting this link to a Starbucks Kashrut Guide from  the Chicago Rabbinical Council on facebook.

*Apparently, she's not happy with it.  But for my visits, I guess it makes Hagen Daz ice cream even more attractive.

No comments: