Sunday, July 05, 2009

Choosing The Best Melon

It's harder than ever to choose really good tasty melons wherever I buy them. It used to be that every melon was delicious. Now, even in the open markets in Israel, they're tasteless.

I know that melons, like most fruits and vegetables, are picked earlier than they should be. One of our Shabbat guests mentioned that many of the fruits and vegetables are chemically treated to ripen early. That probably affects their healthiness and certainly the flavor, or certainly both.

Yes, I try squeezing the ends and smelling them. It just gets more and more frustrating.

One of the guests brought me fruit, watermelon and red grapefruit, cut and served in separate bowls. They were both delicious and exactly the same color. I served the left-overs later mixed in one bowl, and nobody asked what was in it...

3 comments:

rickismom said...

Right. Three weeks ago I bought three small melons and they were so green as to be inedible.So since I had only a small crew here this week, I bought half a watermelon-- and it was the best we have had in a long time....

Anonymous said...

Here, in France, we have a variety of melon which I haven't seen elsewhere. They're green outside and orange inside. They are usually quite tasty.

Batya said...

rm, that's the crazy thing. Or they are outrageously and fantastically good, or inedible.

ilandavita, They sound yummy and healthy. We do have a nice variety, but it's getting harder to find tasty ones.