Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Hope I Fixed My Washing Machine

Last week, one night, as is my custom, I put a "heavy wash," (one that needs the full pre-wash cycle) in my washing machine and went to sleep. In the morning, I turned it off, opened the door and water began pouring out.

Bad news. I quickly closed the door and tried to get it in the drain and spin cycle, but it was too heavy to spin and no water came out of the hose.

Over the next few hours, I "wagged" the hose in a threatening way and kept spinning the dial, urging it to behave, expel the water, rinse and spin away. In addition I opened and cleaned out the filter, while tons of dirty, soapy, smelly water flooded the house.

Eventually, I was satisfied that the wash was laundered to a level of cleanliness to be safely hung in the sun.

Then, I let the machine convalesce a few days before attempting another wash. This was easier. The hose only needed a bit of wagging until it filled with dirty water, sort of like neurological "patterning."

So, I didn't call a repairman. The past few washes were uneventful, thank G-d. Today, I have a lot of laundry to do. It's the last laundry day for almost two weeks. According to the Jewish Calendar, tonight heralds Rosh Chodesh Av, the beginning of the nine days leading up to our most serious day of mourning, Tisha (the 9th of) B'Av. The Ashkenaz (European) Jewish custom is not to launder until noontime on the 10th of Av. Our local swimming pool will also be closed for regular swimming for those ten days.

2 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

The Ashkenaz (European) Jewish custom is not to launder until noontime on the 10th of Av./
CYLOR, but I believe that this year - since the 10th of Av falls on a Friday - one may start doing laundry before chatzot.

Batya said...

I hope so!!