Sunday, July 12, 2009

If I Get So Many Compliments Now, Why...

If I Get So Many Compliments Now, Why...
...Why was I considered overweight years ago when I weighed twenty pounds (8 kilo) less?

This peculiar situation has been troubling me a lot. I was considered "too heavy" all my life. It certainly didn't help that I was a teenager when Twiggy was the idealized figure.

My self-image, even when I was thirty and forty pounds less than my present weight, has always been that of a fat person. I truly wonder if that contributed to my obesity. It became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I felt comfortable even at my fattest. That's bad. And I was in no rush to get the weight off. I was on the obese charts for about fifteen years. That's a long time.

Don't call it diet... Since I've changed my way of eating, I've been losing weight. I can't predict how much more I'll lose, and I tell people I counsel/coach that they shouldn't make strict goals. Just find a healthier way to eat and accept the results. Temporary diets are the worst, because the resulting weight loss will also be temporary.

4 comments:

Baleboosteh said...

Good for you! Sounds like you have got the right idea - losing weight is about making life changes to eat healthy, not just for a week or two.

rickismom said...

Be carefull about the compliments! Yes, I know that compliments are good, but at one point several years ago I started regaining, and didn't really notice at first because I was still getting compliments! (But of course, if you are keeping those new habits, it shouldn't happen....

So keep it up! GRIN

Toto said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I have had the same type of self image forever, and recently found a picture from high school. I was with friends after a day at the beach, and believe me........I WOULD KILL FOR THAT TEENY TINY BODY NOW!!! But of course, back then, I felt fat!!

Batya said...

Baleboosteh, thanks! I'm so glad to hear from you!!! Post-diet statistics are awful, so this isn't a real diet.

rm, thanks for the advice!!

Emah S, so I'm not alone in this. Good luck to you.