Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sort of Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings are a new food for me and my husband.  I understand that they're pretty popular in America, and that's why they're on the menu in HaGov, The Lion's Den, Jerusalem's very popular kosher sports bar and grill. We eat them there.  For those who aren't yet familiar with the dish, they're chicken wings in a hot, spicy tomato sauce.  Recently I've been making something sort of similar.  The biggest difference in my version is that I use turkey wings.  Turkey wings have lots more meat to eat than chicken wings which are mostly skin and bones.



Sorry, but I never measure ingredients:
  • turkey wings, yes, of course you can use chicken wings if you want or any poultry parts
  • tomato paste/concentrate, I only buy the pure, without additives.  It's worth checking ingredients, even if you need to put on reading glasses in public.
  • fresh lemons for juice and even the slices, too, or, yes, you can use the bought lemon juice if you must.  I'm sure it'll taste fine
  • light brown sugar, or any sugar or jam you want to get rid of
  • pepper, hot chili pepper if you like it
  • a cut up onion
  • water to add so there will be a sauce and it won't burn
  1. Clean the wings if there are the "feather stuff" left.  I pour boiling water over my poultry and then just pull out the guilty parties.
  2. Add the tomato paste and boiling water, then the lemon juice, sugar and other flavorings. 
  3. Cook in a covered pot until the meat comes off the bone easily.
Yes, that's it!

It's easy, tasty and fun!

11 comments:

Yisrael.Medad said...

It's good.
But at the Gov, I can eat with my hands.

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

I love wings!!! Wings, skimpy on meat or otherwise, were a special treat growing up; mostly sticky teriyaki ones. My mother learned the trick (from her genteel Anglican private school?) of serving them along with a warm, wet washcloth in a saucer for each guest so nobody got too messy. I believe REAL wings are usually flour-dredged and fried first, but I just dredge & bake them at 375-400 for half an first. Gets the fat out, though it does add carbs. Then I put them in a pan with whichever sauce and continue baking until they are falling apart. Mmm... now I want wings!

Batya said...

Wink, at least my turkey ones have more meat.
Jennifer, will you try turkey? Wet washcloth? Good idea. They give out prepackaged "cloths" at HaGov.

Anonymous said...

My husband has his own, simple version of these wing. He cleans them, grills them on the bbq, and then tosses them in a bowl with chili matok (Thai sweet chili sauce). The secret is to douse off the grill, otherwise they burn.

Bibs are a must.

Batya said...

We don't have a bbq, and my husband doesn't like them "hot," so this sort of sweet-sour works here. I'd love to sneak in some chili...

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Gee, I didn't know that buffaloes could fly. Just kidding. Buffalo wings were a high school favorite of mine, until I started keeping kosher and stopped patronizing Chuck's Spring Street Cafe. Tehina would be a good substitute for what they served to help the mouth recover from the wings. Jennifer, their wings didn't seem to have - or need - any flour in the sauce. Now you've all got me putting chicken (I'll take a poll for wings) with hot sauce on the menu for Simhat Tora.
Chag Sameah!

Batya said...

I'm glad to inspire.

Shelly said...

Mine are very simple - I just roast chicken wings at a very high temperature (gets them almost as crisp as frying) and then drizzle tobasco sauce on them - just need to have a pitcher of water ready

Batya said...

I don't have tobasco sauce, and find my way very easy. I think buffalo wings can be made lots of different ways.

sara g said...

and it is easier to look for this on the web than to find the printed version in my messy recipe file. Batya, beteavon and Shabat shalom!

Batya said...

Even I look up my recipes from this blog.