Monday, August 25, 2008

Does One Outgrow Hyperactivity?

John McEnroe Is Still Pretty Complicated Hyperactive!

I really enjoyed reading this
NY Times Magazine article about John McEnroe.

Of course, as a former teacher who specialized in "non-standard" students, I really got a kick out of the article. Over the years, I had always felt that McEnroe was highly intelligent, and he knew that in the end his amazing tennis talent would help pull him out of any trouble.

Not living in the states or hearing or seeing foreign newscasts, I'm not at all familiar with his new profession, but his success doesn't surprise me.

Going back to my experiences as mother and teacher, it is so important for the school to fit the needs of the child. That doesn't mean "teaching down" to the kid. It means encouraging him/her with the tools for success and the message that true success is up to the student. Take your talents, develop your skills. Don't push your kids against their grains. Find ways to make the best out of their individual intelligences.

2 comments:

A Living Nadneyda said...

...it is so important for the school to fit the needs of the child. That doesn't mean "teaching down" to the kid. It means encouraging him/her with the tools for success and the message that true success is up to the student.

Hear hear!

(Or, as my neighbor puts it, "Every kid deserves special ed").

ALN

Batya said...

With today's "workbook" centered lessons, it's harder for the kids to learn.
I sent both my sons to a school for bright kids with mild learning "differences," and they both did great, well above statistical national average.