Friday, August 29, 2008

Maybe It Was The Food

Late morning, I started dozing off, not able to concentrate nor do anything. It took me awhile to get back to business. I drank and ate "energy" food.

This happens frequently after a wedding or any large catered event. I think that the caterers use some sort of additives, and I'm allergic to it.

About ten years ago, when I was teaching in the Jerusalem "Limudiya," an alternative school and tutoring program, I sometimes grabbed a felafel lunch at the popular "Yemenite Felafel" on Neviim Street. Inevitably, the same thing happened to me, I'd find myself dozing off mid-sentence. Not very good

Obviously, I don't eat their food any more. I never had that reaction from my neighbor Moshe Siton's felafel in the days he had a place near Machaneh Yehuda. Shalom Felafel on Betzalel Street doesn't put me to sleep either. I get hours of energy after eating there.

Am I the only one so sensitive to food additives?

5 comments:

Leora said...

>Am I the only one so sensitive to food additives?

Hardly. It's good you are aware of your sensitivity; too many people get very sick because unaware of connection of what they eat with illness.

Shabbat Shalom!

Unknown said...

I am exactly the same. There's a terrific kebab place near my university, and I often go back to my res. hall and have a nap after eating there. :S
good shabbos!

Batya said...

leora, I just wish I knew what it was. Also, we never know what we're eating, unless we cook it ourselves.

anne, that's interesting. Nice to know it's not just me.

Anonymous said...

A number of people are allergic to "monosodium glutamate" which is found in a lot of processed food.

Batya said...

That could be it.