Saturday, August 02, 2008

To And From The Airport

We don't have a car, and usually we manage just fine. When we have to get to the airport from Shiloh, or back home, we just call a local driver. He waits, schlepps, whatever we need. Always with a smile and we trust him.

When we get to NY things get complicated. A couple of times my mother called a taxi service to pick me up at JFK. I had to call them from the airport when I had all my luggage. Then I had to wait for the driver and wait and wait. Finally he came and didn't speak English, nor any Spanish nor Hebrew. I was supposed to get a "senior discount," but he couldn't understand.

This time we just took a yellow cab from JFK. It wasn't cheap, the meter going all the way to Great Neck, but we didn't have to wait. Of course, I had to give directions.

It seems like lots of travelers get "taken" for more than they had bargained for.

No comments: