Thursday, August 07, 2008

If You Won't Give, Don't Take

The title's rathe simplistic, but it does say it all.

I was talking to a friend today, alive due to an organ transplant. Since my friend has had these medical problems, my friend is very involved in Israel's organ donor association.

My friend is very grateful to the person who donated the organ and encourages others to carry donor cards. What bothers my friend are the people who have no problem accepting organs for themselves or family, but in principle, would never donate to someone else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I carry a donor card but don't often think of encouraging others to do the same. Thanks for doing it Batya.

Batya said...

It's the least I can do.

Unknown said...

Those who are willing to give should be the first to receive.

In the United States, there's an organization for organ donors who want to donate their organs to other organ donors. It's called LifeSharers. Our web site is at www.lifesharers.org.

LifeSharers also has an affiliate in New Zealand. If anyone is interested in getting something similar going in Israel, please send an email to info@lifesharers.org.

Batya said...

Thanks dave, sounds very important and reasonable.