Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Digital dilemma



I'm still checking out digital cameras. It's time for me to replace my old one.

What do you think? The big question is which specific camera to buy and can I teach myself to shoot like a pro in just a couple of weeks.

In just over two weeks, I'm going to New York for a visit, and then I'll be returning home, as a journalist, with a Nefesh B'Nefesh flight. Yes, I also did it last year.

I'm not looking for the most expensive nor advanced camera. It should be good for taking close-ups and distance shots. The controls and icons must be large enough, so I won't need a microscope. Of course there should be less than minimal "delay" when shooting. The screen should be a nice size, since my eyes are no longer young. The battery should last. I'd hate to find myself half-way to Israel with a dead camera. Or how many extras should I get?

Yes, it's a complicated decision.

HELP!

7 comments:

NYC Educator said...

I don't know a lot about digital cameras, but I happen to own the one you have in the photo.

I look for deals on cameras on these sites:

http://slickdeals.net/

http://techbargains.com/

They change every day. Sorry I can't recommend anything, but if you see anything you like these sites often have great prices.

Batya said...

So, give us a review!

My son recommended that I go to B&H when I'm in NY in a couple of weeks. They help the customers.

Ezzie said...

Get the Canon Powershot A520. (Cheaper than the newer models, better battery life, and you don't really need all those megapixels.) It should be around 160-170, less if you can find a good sale. Buy a couple of AA Rechargeable batteries with it, and you're good to go.

It was one of two cameras to be Consumer Reports' Best Buys; the other is a much higher-end camera.

Batya said...

Thanks, it's a whole new world!

Akiva said...

B&H is highly recommended, their prices are very competative, on certain cameras (a little more high end) the tops in the US.

For pocket camera's in a reasonable price range, I'm partial to the Olympus C-60 (or whatever it's latest incarnation is, maybe the C-70), around $250-$300 (6 mega-pixel).

For the higher end (meaning bigger lens, smaller than a 35mm but much bigger than a pocket camera), I love the Fuji Finepix, current incarnation S5600 or S9500 (3500 is 5 megapixel around $350, 9500 is 10 megapixel around $550).

Remember, some of these take special batteries, buy a spare! Most cameras only last 200-500 pictures before needing new batteries. And they need 'memory cards' to store the pictures, buy 2 or 3 big ones, 512mb - 2gb.

Two batteries is enough because they recharge, 2 or 3 cards because they empty out when you move the pictures to your computer (but make sure to get enough for the biggest event you would take).

Batya said...

Thanks,
How many will I need for the 15-20 hours of the NBN event?

Soccer Dad said...

Here's my post and suggestions on digital cameras:
http://soccerdad.baltiblogs.com/archives/2005/12/26/thoughts_on_a_digital_camera.html

I'm noticing that more cameras are coming in with better magnification and under $200. The camera I describe has been superceded by another model. (And Konica-Minolta is getting out of the camera business, so you may want to avoid them.)

I stand by my observation about 4 battery cameras. Ezzie disagrees.

My son has an excellent Canon with a special battery and does some very nice things with it.