Monday, July 31, 2006

YoYoLand

.-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-..-^-.,.-^-.,.-^.-^-.,.-^-
When I was growing up in New York City they invented a station with the slogan "Ten Ten WINS New York - All the news, all the time" [old timers - like me - may fondly remember Jay Bushinsky, who brought us the Six Day War. We now hear about Aviv Bushinsky who has gone into the family business. But I digress.]

Back in mid-century America, all news was a novelty. You didn't have to wait for the on the hour broadcast to be informed or hear the weather report. But I didn't know anybody who listened only to WINS 1010.

Then I came to Israel. Everyone is listening to the news all the time.
And now that we have television (not to mention cable, which, mercifully, we don't have) not only can you hear the news all the time, you can hear it from many different people all the time. In fact for the last few weeks we have been overwhelmed by news.

It has gotten to the point where 'they' think they are thinking for us.
'They' are telling us how we feel.
And 'they' are interviewing everybody and their mother.
Lots of mothers.
"How does it feel to be the the mother of a soldier?"

Flip the channel and ten minutes later there is a mother of three soldiers answering questions about how it feels to be a mother of 3 soldiers (two reservists waiting to be called up) who just returned from a trip to pastoral Peru and found her son involved in the ground war.

(If you think I'm making this up, I'm not. I'm not that creative.)

'They' called me on Friday and wanted me to go somewhere and be filmed for a piece on mothers of religious soldiers. I told them no. I will not add to the madness.

May God send all our soldiers strength and wisdom to overcome our enemies.
Amen

No comments: