Thursday, July 06, 2006

Growing Old and Staying in Shape


Look at that "dancing granny." She probably isn't the most graceful dancer you've ever seen, but she's obviously having a good time.

Recent studies in fitness show that the former "top jocks" are frequently in horrendous shape after "retirement" from competitive sports. They need to be "best" and thrive on the competition.

It's us klutzes who find it easier to continue physical activity. We were never stars, but we enjoyed ourselves.

Years ago (oops! Decades ago) when I taught Sports in our local elementary school, I kept refusing to give grades on the kids' speed and coordination.
"What? Give grades on the talents they got from
G-d? No way! I'll only grade them according to their participation
and if they come properly dressed for lessons."

I certainly didn't want to penalize kids like me, who could never run quickly or gracefully. I wanted to encourage them to just stay physically active. I knew that in our society being Olympic stars wasn't a serious option, but staying physically fit was and is.

"Baby boomers" are starting to turn sixty! Yes, that's double thirty!!! (NO, not yet, but soon.) We're all carefully watching how they take it. Is it the end of the world? A good friend is enjoying the discounts. I can get used to that. Now if they'll give us special deals on sports shoes, that would be something!

3 comments:

wendy said...

I wish schools here would promote more fun in athletics, it seems like if you aren't there to win, then you can't play. There is never a Slow Jogger's Club in high school.

Sarah Likes Green said...

It's true... you see professional footy players after they've retired and the injuries are horrendous so they can't necessarily keep up their fitness properly because of the lingering problems.

Batya said...

Good points.

Now I have to deel with a heel injury that will force me to make changes, until, G-d willing it's better.