Friday, November 26, 2010

Chanuka's Next Week!

I'll start with a nice catchy little Chanukah tune from lady-light's blog.



That should get you in the mood.

We had better stock up on olive oil.  I light olive oil, and my husband likes his traditional candles.  I find that it's better to use good eating quality oil, not any of those "for lighting/burning" bargain oils.  Whenver we've bought some, they turned out to be terrible disappointments, black, smelly smokey disappointments.  The "thrifty" water on the bottom techique isn't good either.  First of all, what's the point when water doesn't burn, so it doesn't add to burning time.  But most serious is that water and olive oil have different chemical characteristics, and the boiling water because of the heat of the burning oil sometimes causes the glass cup to explode which can be very dangerous.  And then you must replace the glass cup, because you need maximum on the last night.  Another lighting tip is that you use a candle for the shammas when the lights are oil.  That's because you can't light directly from an oil light.  I guess that people who grew up with oil lights know this, but we didn't grow up with oil, so I discovered it the hard way.

Next week, I'll bli neder blog low carbohydrate latke recipes.  Stay tuned and keep checking in.

Shabbat Shalom uMevorach
Have a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat

10 comments:

Leora said...

"low carbohydrate latke recipes" - my personal new custom is to eat salad with cold pressed olive oil (much healthier than anything fried), and I save the latkes for the kids. There's some kind of new technique with olive oil invented by some kibbutz near the coast (don't recall the name) that is even healthier than 1st cold pressed.

I'm looking forward to Chanukah!

Mrs. S. said...

it's better to use good eating quality oil, not any of those "for lighting/burning" bargain oils.
I agree that the "for lighting" olive oil is horrible. We prefer to pay more to avoid the smell and the smoke of the cheap oil.

Shabbat Shalom!

Batya said...

Since we're veteran empty nesters I only make latkes when there are guests who'd really want them. Different veggies can be used. I've been saving celery root.

Mrs. S, so we agree again! Quality olive oil is sure cheaper than painting the livingroom.

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

I have been having great results with oven-baked latkes. And it's not a latke around here without carrots and other assorted veggies! My father was deeply suspicious, however, the year I brought "Asian-fusion" latkes. I forget what was in them (other than green onions), but they were delicious. If you have pumpkin (as I do, tons, in the freezer), it's probably a nice, lower-carb alternative to all that potato.

I think I tried a non-olive oil one year - ha ha ha. Talk about smokey! I have insisted on oil since becoming frum; it's messy, but gorgeous, and it just feels more authentic than what are basically glorified birthday-cake candles.

(but I believe some households keep a separate candle nearby that is used to light so that they can have an olive oil shammash.)

Shabbat Shalom!

Batya said...

Two years ago, when my son hosted us and my diet was new, the kids made me special low carb/oil latkes filled with so much love.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Jennifer, do you have a practical tip for baking latkes? I have baked latkes and I'm always looking for a way to improve them. Let's face it: fried foods taste as great as they are unhealthy! My mother would probably laugh if I told her I was baking latkes.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
P.S. Buy Jewish olive oil for an extra mitzva.

Batya said...

We buy Meshek Achiya in our local grocery store, good enough?

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
It's the only Jewish, Jewish labor olive oil that I've seen, other than from private individuals, many of whom have their oil pressed at Achiyah!

Batya said...

More reasons to buy theirs. Also the olive oil tasters say it's the best.