Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Breaking A Fast

Yesterday was a fast day, the 17th of Tammuz, according to the Jewish religion.  I kvetched and ranted here and on facebook.  How much is physiological and how much is my general stressed out mood and how much due to the weather, I wouldn't guess.

I, please don't say foolishly, walked down the hill, about a kilometer or half a mile plus, to a neighbor's to join her and others for weekly T'hillim, Psalms.  The walk in such "clothes-dryer" weather really knocked me out, but I always feel good after these sessions.  We share the entire one hundred and fifty Psalms by David and then say special prayers for those ill and in need of G-d's help for other reasons, too, like finding a match and getting pregnant.  Unfortunately, the list keeps growing, though some who were on the "need a match" list recently got married.

I was driven home feeling better, B"H.

My husband fasts easily and broke the fast on our typical Shabbat leftover dinner of soup, chicken, vegetables, rice and salad.  I made myself a quick, nothing special vegetable soup of split peas, onions, carrots and squash (and some oil, salt and pepper.) 

As soon as I could eat, I drank water, felt awful, not hungry and ate a very ripe banana.  Before I could finish that the phone rang.  It was my sister about things needed to be done for our parents and reports to each other.

Only after we finally got off the phone did I have my soup, a few small bowls.  By then I felt better.  Later I ate some plain goats yogurt and an apple.

How do you break fasts?

2 comments:

rickismom said...

First, I did not go walking in the morning, and stayed OUT of the sun. Then, about 20 minutes before the fast ended (leaving food for DH ready on the table), I took one liter of drink and went walking for over an hour. After the fast ended, I started sipping the liter fluid as I walked. This was good.
Arriving home, I had WW bread and blended vegetable soup. This all seems to me a perfect way to break the fast. I knew that if I ate before walking, I would feel like lead and not get out at all.....

Batya said...

Sounds great. During my jogging days I'd just have water and fruit and then go for a jog.

I had planned on walking after the soup, but when my sister called timing was too short. I'm glad I managed to squeeze in the banana as I spoke to her, since I was really out of it.