Thursday, June 24, 2010

Partying

I'm a firm believer in the "life rule" that you should look for reasons to party, never too many celebrations.  This week, so far, two out of three celebrations have been enjoyed.  I'm invited to another one tonight.

The other day I met with friends to celebrate a young at heart "elderly" friend's birthday.  We had a great time together and promised ourselves more partying.  I hope we'll really do it.

Yesterday the Movie Club came over for an "early 90th Birthday" for my father.  Why aren't we waiting for the "real" date?  That's because my has mother decided that they'd be better off near my sister in Arizona.  My sister is helping my mother pack up her house, life etc right now.  And I'll, G-d willing, be taking him to Arizona in a few weeks.

I didn't show a movie.  Actually, besides the menu, a cake from the best baker in the neighborhood and a fruit salad from another, there was no real program planned.  I set up hot and cold soft drinks and set chairs to join the couches as a "circle" in the living room.  My father sat in his favorite seat, the end of the couch with the broken spring.  It's where I generally sit and must have destroyed the spring a few years ago.

Conversation flowed.  I was amazed.  I had thought that the party would last less than an hour, but everyone had such a good time talking, eating, noshing that they stayed over two hours.  Again, there was this feeling that we must get together much more often just to socialize.  There was a great mix of ages, three generations, and the participants were from all over the world.

Tonight is another party, very different.  Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your father will be a yored?!

in all seriousness, you need to do what is best for him.
kol hakavod to you for your dedication to him these last few months.

Batya said...

My father wants to be with my mother, and she decided not to make aliyah. The miracle is the time he has spent here.
I just do what I have to do.

Lady-Light said...

Batya, at first I thought that I misunderstood your post. Didn't your father just recently come to Israel? I thought it was permanent. And are your parents divorced (why didn't your mother come with him?).

Was the original plan for them to make aliyah one after the other?
I'm a bit confused, but I know that you are doing a great deal for your abba, and whatever they decide will be right for them...

Batya said...

LL, ok, I guess I ought to post an explanation. next post