Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Too good to be true and misc.


It's happening too frequently that those really great articles people send me end up being false. It's not like I search to verify. They're so great that I want to post them, but I don't post without a legitimate link, and when I google a line or two from the article, the link I find says:

Claim: Violinist Itzhak Perlman once finished a concert on an instrument with only three strings after one string broke.
Status: False.
Yes, that's what just happened a few minutes ago. A friend forwarded me the moving and inspiring story. It was just the sort of story I felt like posting, but it was lacking a link. I copied the first line and googled it.

Maybe the true lesson should be:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true at all.

now, something else
carnival update
BOMS has a new host and a whole new look! Take a gander.
And here's the very latest The Carnival of Family Life, which is becoming a very successful carnival.

It seems like lots of bloggers are rethinking their blogging commitments and arrangements. For many of us, it has been like a fantasy journalism career. We write what we think and feel, and we can publish it, and people read it. When we're lucky either we have lots of people visiting our blog, or it gets around. Now the question is whether or not it's really worth the efforts. Personally, I feel healthier writing about the political stuff than holding it in. I like to write, and I don't like to hustle. But I'm trying to reduce the time spent blogging. One of the ways is combining all sorts of topics into one post, like this one.

I have a very busy day, more laundry to hang, lessons to prepare, students to teach--they had better show up today and a house to clean and shopping to do, and...

No comments: