Sunday, October 01, 2006

Tzom Kal

"Tzom Kal" means "Have an easy fast."

Yom Kippur starts tonight. I guess I ought to link it here for those who don't know what it is. Not all of my readers are Jewish, and not all Jews know about our religion.

Big news here in Israel is that the weather has gotten cooler and more humid, which will make it easier to fast. We have had a late, super-dry heat spell recently.

Last night as Shabbat was ending, my visiting niece and I took a walk. We could actually smell the weather change. There's a strong pre-rain smell that permeates the air before the first rains. It's very easy to notice in the mountains of Israel.

On Monday, Tzom Gedalia, I went to a funeral in Haifa. There the climate is different, and I was caught by surprise when it suddenly began to rain.

Like many Jewish bloggers, I'll be busy for a couple of days with Yom Kippur, so don't expect my usual rate of writing.

Tzom Kal and Gmar Chatimah Tovah

No comments: