Monday, January 25, 2010

Spices

No doubt that it's possible to buy every imaginable spice in Israel.



This spice store is in Jerusalem's Machaneh Yehuda Market, aka "The Shuk."  I don't keep all that many spices in my closet/pantry.  Fresh spices don't stay fresh all that long.  They lose their potency and get buggy, too.

Our menu doesn't include the sort of foreign exotic foods demanding anything fancy.  Recently I began sprinkling curcum, turmeric on my morning omelet, because it's supposed to be medicinal.  A doctor even told me that it's good to put on cuts to make them heal more quickly.

A Yemenite neighbor told us that their traditional spice is a combination of curcum, paprika and black pepper.  That's pretty easy.  Beware, it can cause a serious arthritis flare-up for those sensitive to nightshades.

Not long ago I bought pieces of real ginger which I've added to all sorts of things.  It's powerful. 

My latest Apple Compote was cooked with ginger root, cinnamon stick, freshly squeezed orange juice and water.  No sugar, of course!  That was easy and delicious and perfect if you're trying to keep your weight down.

4 comments:

rickismom said...

Ginger is always in my Pesach apple compote, and my husband likes it with coffee.
Cummin is good with fried breaded fish.
Curcum is one of my favorite spices-- not only is it good with eggs, but also with fish and chicken

Batya said...

Thanks
It's good in vegetable soup, too. I added it to my previous one. Yesterday's only had some dehydrated parsley, plus the salt, pepper, peas, onions, carrots, squash and oil. Yep! It's that easy to make vegetable soup.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Keep spices in the refrigerator. The bugs stay out and the spices maintain more of their freshness. I've read recommendations to keep spices in the freezer, although I've also read that the freezer destroys all of the taste. I keep my spices well sealed in the refrigerator, which doesn't destroy much of the taste.
The Yemenite was probably referring to hawaish, which it to a Yemenite what curry is to an Indian. The two main blends of hawaish are for soup and for coffee. (Don't get me started on spices. I could go on for a while...)

Batya said...

Hadassa, I guess I ought to take your advice, but I'm too worried about the dampness in the fridge.