Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dieting On Passover, No Problem

It just occurred to me the other day, that I shouldn't have any problem with my diet on Pesach, besides seder night.

I've been on a combination of Start Fresh kosher weight loss diet and the Blood Type Diet for a few months now and I've lost seventeen (17) pounds, close to eight kilo, already.

Since I'm Type O, I avoid grains and carbohydrates. That leaves me with protein and all sorts of vegetables, even those like carrots and onions which are considered sugary. I no longer eat my life-long favorite food, noodles. All the pasta in the pantry has been ignored. No bread, no sandwiches, no bulgar and no rice. If I have lentils, they're in a soup. I also eat fruit and bio yogurts.

Yes, I eat and I eat plenty of food. I try never to allow myself to get hungry. That's one of the key things. When I travel, I take a yogurt, fruit and salad. When I eat out, I don't eat any starch.

My "test" for whether a food is bad for me is very simple:
Does eating it satisfy me, satiate my appetite, or do I just want to eat more and more of it?

If it stimulates my appetite it's bad for me. I feel hungrier after a slice of bread or a "portion" of noodles. That's why they're out, eliminated from my diet.

Cooked vegetables are best. I start the cooking with a bit of oil, and then I cover the pot or pan. With a good pot, you don't need to add water. The vitamins, minerals and flavor stay in.

OK, the Seder has its required foods matzah and wine or juice, but after that I shouldn't have any problem sticking to my diet to lose weight.

2 comments: