Friday, March 13, 2009

As Promised....

Just for suspense, let's start with a gorgeous picture of early spring kalaniyot.

And here's this year's Purim door.
And finally... my costume.

Nu, do you know what's special? I only wear a wig on Purim. After my wedding, I discovered that my great-grandmother (whom I'm named after) vowed to her father that she wouldn't wear a wig, only a hat/tichel. But before she left Poland for New York after his death, she was urged to go to a special Beit Din, religious court, to nullify that vow. The dayanim, rabbis, insisted that he would agree that what's good for Neshelsk, Poland isn't good for New York, USA, and there she could wear a shaitel. Well, as his direct descendant, I disagree. We have principles in our genes. So l'ilui nishmatam, to elevate their souls, I make a point of wearing a wig on Purim.

No comments: