Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Naturally...

When my first child was a baby, it never occurred to me to "nurse" her in public. I certainly didn't come from a "breast-feeding culture."

My younger children ended up being "nursed" in some of the strangest and most unexpected public places. None of this was exhibitionist nor obsene. In many cases, only someone familiar with breast-feeding could have guessed what was going on.

I was surprised today to discover that there's a law in New York upholding the right of mothers to breast feed their babies in public. This came to light after a mother was harassed by a guard in a public library.

Unless there's some medical reason, nothing is better for human babies than human milk, so it's a good law. It's so important to give babies the best start possible.

No comments: