Tuesday, May 26, 2009

American Jewish Girl Doll

Not all that authentic for a girl from the slums of the Lower East Side almost a hundred years ago...She looks much too affluent for me. I think that this new doll from American Girl is modeled more on today's fashionably well-dressed Jewish girl from Boropark, Brooklyn. Certainly the price, $95, isn't for everyone. But as I understand, this company has many loyal followers.

I've visited the store with my niece. Last time we patronized the WC. Yes, if you're one of those, like me, who considers those sorts of facilities the most important addresses in any city, the American Girl Store in Manhattan is just perfect. And it doesn't cost anything to look at the dolls.

4 comments:

Leora said...

If you have a 6 year old daughter, that store is dangerous.

My daughter owns one, and at that price, she will continue to own one. But it is interesting that they realize that marketing to the Jewish crowd is worth the company's while. We have read a lot of American Girl stories, and yes, they are all about immigrants, similar to my grandparents. But I doubt my father's side of the family had money to dress like that. I have pictures of my mother dressed in clothes like those (from the 1930's).

Batya said...

Leora, I remember how tempting all those accesories can be. I'm glad that when my niece was younger she didn't expect anything from me.

Anonymous said...

I think that this new doll from American Girl is modeled more on today's fashionably well-dressed Jewish girl from Boropark, Brooklyn.Exactly what I thought when I saw her.

Batya said...

Those white boots are just too..