Friday, May 22, 2009

I Liked The Old Menu Better

The Rimon Cafe` Restaurant, just off of Zion Square is a Jerusalem landmark. It's possibly the longest-running restaurant in town. I've had a "membership" for well over ten years and get a discount, so I do know the place. It has changed a lot over the years, had its ups and downs, like many veteran businesses. And it's hard for me to think of a bad meal, until last night.

Firstly, I must say that
my husband did enjoy his fish dinner.


I had expected to order an ordinary Tuna Salad, with a fancy name, but it was no longer on the menu. Instead I ordered their "Italian Salad," with pesto, tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, cashews and there would have been croutons, but I told them to leave them out.

It looks good, except I didn't notice that the tomatoes looked bleached, a bad sign especially in Israel where luscious red tomatoes are so easy to buy. The pesto was too oily. I didn't add any salad dressing, not even olive oil, and I began feeling sick from the oil. If I hadn't already had my "off diet day" at my birthday party, I could have ordered something with carbohydrates, but this had seemed the best for me. It offered salad, cooked vegetables, a bit of cheese and nuts. I guess I should have splurged on the fish and ordered a non-carb side dish.

4 comments:

Leora said...

This does look good. I remember enjoying reading the menu when we were in Jerusalem last summer. We didn't end up eating there, though.

I think I'll save up and take my husband on a date there. One of these days.

Your photos are making my mouth water. Yum. Too bad about the oil and the tomatoes.

Batya said...

Some expensive car fare for a date!

I won't give up on them. What shocked me the most was how prices had gone up. I haven't been eating out much, since I stopped working. I don't know what the other restaurants charge.

tnspr569 said...

I have such fond memories of that restaurant - I hope they keep up the good work.

Batya said...

I do, too. They're always experimenting, so sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.