Friday, December 17, 2010

Fast Soup For The Post-Fast Meal

I usually start the Friday night Shabbat meal with a big salad, but I don't do well on raw foods after fasting.  I need a very plain and simple to make vegetable soup. 
  • a handful or two of split (dry) peas
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 large carrot
  • a piece of dla'at, thick fresh pumpkin
  • 1 green squash
  • a few cloves of garlic
  1. I put the peas in a pot* with boiling water. 
  2. After an hour or so I added more boiling water and put up the flame so it would cook. 
  3. After about a half an hour I chopped up the vegetables and added them to the soup, along with a spoon of oil. 
  4. I added more water. 
  5. When it started to boil I transfered the pot to a smaller flame.
  6. Then I added pepper and parsley flakes.
  7. I plan on adding miso before it's ready.
At this point it smells too good, and it's making me very hungry.

*around 3 liters.  I can't turn it over to check the size.

6 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Sounds delicious!

I tried to get a bunch of the cooking done yesterday, because I knew I wouldn't be able to accomplish much today.

Have an easy and meaningful fast and Shabbat Shalom!

Batya said...

Thanks!

Mrs. S. actually the fast is making things easier, since I don't have to deal with lunch. Our shul had an early mincha and plans on dovening kabalat shabbat as early as permitted.

I think I've finished the cooking. Unless I forgot something crucial...

Leora said...

This does sound good. Here I am looking for JPiX, and I see one of your soups. You are making me hungry!

Batya said...

JPIX? Is it time? Didn't I send you any links?
re: my soup, if you visit, I'll make you some!

Leah, Maaleh Adumim said...

sounds great! I also think that cooked veggies are best. (warm, soft, easy to digest...)

my usual recipe is similar -
1/2 cup peas or lentils
1-2 (depending on size and what you feel like) of each of the following: onion, carrot, tomato, zucchini, celery stalk
sometimes I also add a diced yam, and/or 1/4 cup barley
season with salt, pepper (red pepper is best), oregano (or thyme or "Italian mix"), garlic (fresh or powder), parsley & dill (fresh or dried)
combine in a 3 or 4 liter pot and cook till veggies & legumes are soft.

Batya said...

Sounds good. Mine came out pretty well yesterday. No to finish eating it. At least some is in the freezer.