Sunday, December 05, 2010

Fifth Night out of Eight, Reflecting


Yes, five small "cups" of best quality (for eating) olive oil are burning in the window facing the street. We light the chanukiyot (Chanukah menorah) on the window sill. These windows face the road. Our front door faces the path. Our custom is for everyone to light his/her own chanukiya. When the house was full of kids and guests we had chanukiyot for one and all. Some years/nights both long (wide) window sills were full. I bought lots of simple (inexpensive) oil chanukiyot, like this one. And of course, I also had to buy lots of little glass cups. We have all sorts of sizes, too. Yes, it gets sort of miss-matched. My husband still prefers his traditional candles, but I changed my tradition and I guess I've been lighting oil for a long time already.

Another change we've made over the years is to sing the entire Maoz Tzur, instead of just the first verse. I first heard the complete singing when I lit in someone else's house, because I was going to a wedding with them. It was a long time ago, and it took a very long time to get the custom accepted by my family. Another thing I didn't know existed was HaNerot hallalu... All I had ever learned in my Hebrew School was the blessings.

Life is learning and growing, like the lights in the chanukiya. We shouldn't make do, be complacent with the "old ways." We must keep on learning, improving...

Chag Urim Sameach
Have an Enlightened Holiday
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ella said...

Do you just stand the wicks in the oil when you light them. Is it safe?

Batya said...

Yes, that's all I have to do. They are higher than the little cup. No muss; no fuss.