Monday, December 13, 2010

Gloves and Candlelight

Thank G-d, it's raining, but that shouldn't mean that we have to suffer all those electricity outages.  When the repairmen accidently burned up the western side of Tel Shiloh, they had been repairing some connections, or so the local security people said.


I wonder how Jerusalem's lightrail will weather the future storms, since some train passengers had to be transferred to buses in other parts of the country.


Yesterday, I set up a whole bunch of candles on the diningroom table so I could read.  What else was there to do all alone in the house?  And I searched my coat closet for fallen gloves to make up more pairs.  I need a pair of very heavy insulated ones for outside and lighter knitted ones for sleeping.  I found heavy hot-pink ones, which must have had been bought for my daughters a couple of decades ago, considering that they're still in their thirties, and I slept with a miss-matched pair, one black and one grey, but who can see in the dark?

Today, I need to take a walk and I also have my tutoring job in Gilo.  If the weather doesn't clear, I'll just have to go to Malcha Mall on the way and walk there.  It's on the way, but the bus routes from there are awfully long.  I also wonder if I'll make the 7:15 home if it's wet.  We'll see.  It'll be good to get out of the house.

2 comments:

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

I'm not sure I understand. Engineers in other parts of the world seem to be able to make electricity work even when it rains. Most of us expect things to go on more or less as normal. Israel has some of the world's most brilliant engineers, often from other places where rain is not unheard-of. Is this just a Shiloh thing, or everywhere? Strange...

Batya said...

Good question. We've had worse winters with fewer problems, but this year has been really bad. Things are built here "for the summer." We have cold floors, for the summer, too.