Monday, December 13, 2010

A Fine For A Refund?

The media is all excited about the new law requiring stores here in Israel to refund money, under certain conditions, if a customer returns the purchase.  Well, this is far from the American "no question, don't ask..." policy.  In Israel, you pay a fine 10% tax or ns100.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who never got around to using a "refund credit slip" or two or more.  Cash is much easier to spend.  Too frequently the store where we want to return the purchase doesn't have what we like or need.  That's why we're returning the whatever

On occassion, I've had good luck here in Israel with returns.  A friend gave me a gorgeous set of Michal Negrin jewelry.  Yes, absolutely gorgeous but not my taste at all.  When she handed it to me, she stressed that I should exchange it and buy what I like, and that's exactly what I did.  The service in the Michal Negrin store was excellent.  Prior to that I had bought from their Lod Airport Duty Free shop.  Shortly after I picked out my "present" one of the pieces needed a small repair, and again, excellent service, no charge.

Another store with friendly service when exchanging (ok for credit slips) is the Golf clothing and housewares chain.  My daughter didn't like the first outfit I bought the baby for her parties, so I found something better in a different branch, the Pisgat Ze'ev one.  Afterwards I checked a couple of other branches, and the saleswomen were all very understanding.
"Oh, yes, the savtot, grandmothers are always back exchanging clothes here.  It's normal.  Yes, the mothers send them."
Gift stores automatically offer exchange stickers/cards, so the recipients can choose something more to their liking.

Now it's going to be legal, a requirement.  And just a warning, the law isn't simple, not at all.  Ask when purchasing if there's any chance you may need to exchange or return.

No comments: