Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New Job Offer, If I Blog It, It's Real

In one of those classic siyatta d'Shmaya events, the other night, on the way to a wedding with total strangers, I ended up being offered a job.  Earlier in the day, or the day before, I had been talking to a friend, a teacher soon to be retiring. She said that when she retires, she's like a simple type of part-time job, like working in a shop of food place, just a few hours a week.

Financially, this has been a rough year.  I didn't find enough tutoring jobs, and although my weight has stayed down, people don't want to pay for my words of wisdom and encouragement.  I haven't really marketed my photography either.  Yes, things are not going well in the money department.

So, back to the ride.  In the backseat, my new friend and I were talking, and it ends up that she's manager of a clothing store, and before I knew it I had been offered a job.  I told her straight away that I could only work part-time.  She said that three shifts a week are minimum.  Perfect for me.  Of course it's not great money, but compared to what I got in that Gilo tutoring job which was too hard physically traveling, it's about the same for the day's work, when you calculate time leaving home to return.  And the store is much, much closer to home.

Today, I must get a doctor's appointment for a "fitness to work letter."  And then I call her to sign up and then she puts me in the schedule.  G-d willing, thank G-d

Once it starts, I'll let you know where it is.

10 comments:

Leora said...

Good luck with the new venture, Batya.

Tzivia said...

b"h - great news! And working retail will give you LOTS to blog about!

Risa Tzohar said...

Good luck with it!
What's a fit-to-work letter?

Batya said...

Leora, Jennifer, Risa, Thanks!

Jennifer, I didn't think of the blogging aspect, but you're right.

Fit to work to show that I can do what the job needs.

Sara Layah said...

absolutely wonderful - go 4 it!

And yes, the blogging possibilities are amazing... gr-8 publicity for the store, too.

Enjoy!

Batya said...

Sara Layah, davka, the store manager said that she had read my blog. Then she offered me the job.

G-d willing it should all work out.

Ariella's blog said...

I wish you much hatzlacha, Batya.

Batya said...

Ariella, thanks so much.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
B'hatzlaha! Maybe you'll meet a "nice Jewish girl" right for one of your sons. Or perhaps one of the customers will have a suitable son or brother...

Batya said...

thanks, amen, amen